About Our Family
The Full Story
In 1854, William H. Canon purchased 80 acres in Lagrange County, IN, near present day Stroh. Upon his death in 1886, it was left to his daughter, Permelia Collins. And then in 1919, Permelia left the farm to her daughter Myrtle and son in law James Byron Bovee. James had started farming the property for his mother in law 20 years earlier in 1899. The Bovee family has been an integral part of this community ever since.
Fast forward another half century, and our family's farm underwent a major "reset" period. In 1974, a massive tornado tore through Indiana, destroying many lives and properties. Our farm was among the losses. Although not a single member of the family was lost, the farm was a total loss. Not a single building on the farmstead was left intact. Undaunted by the setbacks caused by the storm damage, the Bovees started the rebuilding process. In 1975, Byron and Linda Bovee had their 3rd son - an ornery little blond haired whirling dervish named Jonathon Byron. This son would eventually play a part in another "reset" period on his family's farm - but not for nearly 40 more years.
In 2002, Byron Bovee would die suddenly and unexpectedly, leaving the farm's future in question. Byron's youngest brother was still running the grain operation of the farm, but the livestock was long gone. In 2013, that ornery older whirling dervish named Jonathon agreed to purchase the farm from his mother. In 2016, angus and hereford cattle made their first appearance back on the Bovee family farm in nearly a quarter of a century.